Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Good Bye Gunner

Today I'm not going to write about museum or historic place I went to in June, but will jump back on that soon.

Today is a sad day for my family. We had to send our Handsome and Loving boy, Gunner off to the Rainbow Bridge.

Gunner and Tucker
(Sadly, I don't have a pic of them on the computer as puppies.)


He was about 8.5 years old, we got him and his brother Tucker in February of 2005. I remember that very night. I was with my grandparents and it was a cold, stormy night. I think it was a snow storm. My mom called and said we all had to come over right away, in a very (good) excited voice.

We pulled in and there was my mom on the porch with two little Boxer puppies 8-10 weeks old (give or take some). My mom has wanted Boxers since before I can remember. They were the funniest little things, with lots of sloppy kisses and their little wiggy, wiggy, wiggy butts. (inside joke)

We got very lucky with these guys, puppies aren't usually available in February.

Gunner was the one my Dad chose, he became the strapping brut you see there on the left and Tucker is the taller, skinnier one my Mom chose. The story goes that my Dad picked out Gunner, then my Mom picked up Tucker and my Dad held a finger and said "one!", so we ended up with two. And they were floppy eared Boxers, just what Mom wanted. 

We have been lucky with some great pets/friends, dogs and cats, one cat 'who shall not be named', Matty,  was a little witch but we loved her, she lives with another woman now, and is a mouser. And loves it, we hear.

Gunner and Tucker have been a riot since day one. Running, jumping after bugs, bunnies in the field, boxing each other as Boxers do. Quite a circus, especially when Mom added chickens and Bella, her little Shih-a-poo. Daddy's princess. They loved car rides too. When I was home in June I took all 3 of them all the way to Florida, Mass with me in the convertible. It was a good hour or so drive to get there and back. So I'm glad I got to spend that time with all of them.

But sadly, Boxers are known for cancer, bad hips and ACLs. We've been lucky with no cancer, but the ACL and hip on Gunner we had to bear. A few years ago we had his ACL 'fixed', but since then with his size and him wanting to run like a pup, it hadn't helped. Recently, Mom and Dad had him checked to possibly due the surgery again but unfortunately the arthritis had built up so badly that there was nothing we could do except for a particular weekly shot, which could only do so much. But as of late, he had to be carried up all the stairs, it hurt to stand and wouldn't get off the couch.

So, last night they fed him an awesome meal of Burger King, steak and chocolate ice cream. I know he had to be very excited for that. And today, my parents brought him on his last ride down to our family vet. I'm so glad I got to hug and kiss and say Good bye to him when I had the chance.

We will never forget you, Gunner. We Love you. We will miss you. Please wait for us at the bridge.
 
Gunner
RIP August 28, 2013

 
The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend
 

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.
For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.
The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together. 1
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment